Berriew or Aber Rhiw, Montgomeryshire
Berriew or Aber-Rhiw, a village and a parish in Montgomeryshire. The parish lies on the canal, at the influx of the river Rhiw to the Severn, 2 miles W by S of Forden station on the Cambrian railway, and 4 NW of Montgomery. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 12,131; population of the civil parish, 1760; of the ecclesiastical, 1747. Vaynor Park, wliicli formerly belonged to the Devereux family, is a chief residence. Some fine scenery occurs on the Severn, and just above the village the Rhiw forms a waterfall. There are some ancient British remains. About a mile from the village is an erect stone, called Maen Beuno, which marks the spot, according to tradition, where St Beuno first preached the Gospel in these parts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £263 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is dedicated to St Beuno, and is small but good.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: