Marston Montgomery, Derbyshire
Marston Montgomery, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands 1½ mile E of the river Dove at the boundary with Staffordshire, 2¼ miles ESE of Eocester, and 3½ from Uttoxeter station on the North Stafford railway; is a scattered place, and has a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Rocester. The parish comprises 2475 acres; population, 322. The living is a rectory, annexed to Cnbley, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £140. The church stands on an eminence, is partly Norman and Early English, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. It was thoroughly restored in 1876, and a new organ was erected in 1885. There are a Wesleyan chapel and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marston-Montgomery St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Uttoxeter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marston Montgomery from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marston-Montgomery (St. Giles))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Marston Montgomery are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: