Tredegar, a market-town and an ecclesiastical parish in Bedwellty parish, Monmouthshire. The town stands on the river Sirhowy, 7 miles NE of Merthyr Tydfil, 12½ WSW of Abergavenny, and 173 distant by railway from London. Tredegar was an insignificant village till the establishment of large ironworks in 1800 by the Homfrays. It has stations on the Merthyr and Abergavenny branch of the G.W.R., and the Sirhowy branch of the L. & N.W.R. The ironworks are carried on by the Tredegar Iron and Coal Company, and comprise five rolling mills, five blast furnaces, and Bessemer steel manufactories. Coal is exported largely from the collieries surrounding the town, which are also the property of the Tredegar Company. The town has a head post office. The principal streets radiate from the market-place, which is called " the Circle," and contains a lofty clock-tower. The town-hall and market-hall were built in 1893. The church of St George is a large modern edifice in the Norman style. St James' Church was erected in 1890 as a chapel of ease for Georgetown, a suburb near Tredegar railway station. There are Baptist, Galvinistic Methodist, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, United Brethren, and Wesleyan chapels, and a cemetery. The town contains a temperance hall, a literary institute and library, two banks, and a police station. It is a seat of petty sessions and county courts. A weekly market is held on Saturday. The workhouse for Bedwellty union is situated near the town. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1838. Population, 17,436. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £S 00 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
|Registration district||Bedwellty||1894 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tredegar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tredegar)
Online maps of Tredegar are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: