Sudbrook or Southbrook, Monmouthshire
Sudbrook or Southbrook, a quondam parish, now incorporated with Portskewett, in Monmouthshire, 4¼ miles SW by S of Chepstow. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chepstow. The western end of the Severn Tunnel constructed by the G.W.R. company is here, and a small town has sprung up in connection with the works. Sudbrook and Portskewett now form a civil parish with a parish council of thirteen members. The old parish church is in ruins, but there is a mission hall which is used for divine service, public meetings, &c. There are also a reading-room and library, and an orphanage. The living still ranks as a rectory, annexed to Portskewett.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sudbrook The Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sudbrook or Southbrook from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sudbrook, or Southbrook (The Trinity))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: