Rogerstone, a hamlet in Bassaleg parish, Monmouthshire, 2½ miles W by N of Newport. It has a post and money order office under Newport; telegraph office, Bassaleg. There is a station at Tydu on the Western Valleys section of the G.W.R. Acreage, 2299; population, 2589. There are remains of an ancient castle. A chapel of ease was erected in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newport|
|Registration district||Newport||1837 - 1936|
|Registration district||Caerleon||1936 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rogerstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rogerstone)
Online maps of Rogerstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: