Redwick, a township and a chapelry in Magor parish, Monmouthshire, on the coast of Caldicot Level, 3 miles SSW of Magor station on the South Wales section of the G.W.R., and 8 ESE of Newport. Post town, Newport; money order and telegraph office, Magor. Acreage, 2502 of land, with 4655 of foreshore; population, 226. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Magor in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1876. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Redwick St. Thomas|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
|Registration district||Newport||1837 - 1936|
|Registration district||Caerleon||1936 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Redwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Redwick (St. Thomas))
Online maps of Redwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: