Pontnewynydd, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Trevethin parish, Monmouthshire. The village lies on the river Avon Llwyd, 1 mile NNW of Pontypool, and has a station on the Eastern Valleys branch of the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Pontypool. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1845. Population, 3409. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Trevethin. The church was built in 1879 on the site of a previous edifice. There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. There are several coal mines, including the notable Llanarch, a brick work, extensive sheet-iron and steel works, a brewery, a bakery, and flour mills.
Online maps of Pontnewynydd are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: