Markeaton, a township in Mackworth parish, Derbyshire, on an affluent of the river Derwent, 1¼ mile NW of Derby station on the G.N.R., L. & N.W.R., and M.R. Post town and money order office, Mackworth; telegraph office, Derby. Acreage, 1867; population, 217. The manor belonged to the Earls of Chester, passed to the Touchets, and, with Markeaton Hall, belongs now to the Mundy family. The Hall was built in 1755, and stands in a park of 100 acres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Belper|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Markeaton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Markeaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: