Penmaen, an ecclesiastical parish separated from the civil parish of Mynyddyslwyn, Monmouthshire. It is situated between the rivers Ebbw and Sirhowy, 170 miles NW from London, 10 NW from Newport, and 6 W from Pontypool, and includes the villages of Newbridge, Crumlin, Trinant, and part of Aberbeeg on the Ebbw Valley, and part of Argoed-Rhiw and Pontllanfraith on the Sirhowy Valley. Population, 4299. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Crown and Bishop alternately. The church of St Phillip and St James is a Gothic stone structure erected in 1855, and comprises nave, chancel, S porch, spire, and one bell. There are also two iron churches and two mission rooms. The parish has been subdivided, and forms a part of the urban district of Newbridge and Abercwm, and also of the rural portion of Mynyddyslwyn and Penmaen. There are several chapels in the parish. The Congregational chapel is endowed with £200 per annum and an excellent residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Penmaen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Penmaen)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: