Penbiddle, a hamlet in Llanvihangel Crucorney parish, Monmouthshire, 6½ miles NNE of Abergavenny. Penboyr, a parish in Carmarthenshire, 1 mile from Henllan station on the Carmarthen and Cardigan branch of the G.W.R., and 4 miles SE of Newcastle Ernlyn. Post town, Velindre, under Llandyssal. Acreage, 6936; population, 1428. There is a parish council consisting of thirteen members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; net value, £303 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Cawdor. The old parish church, restored in 1889, stands near a Roman camp; it is dedicated to St Llawddog. Another church, called St Barnabas, was built in 1862, in the Early English style, and is about 2 miles from the parish church and in the village of Velindre. This village and ita neighbourhood is noted for its woollen manufactures, real Welsh flannels, merges, &c.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Llanvihangel Crucorney|
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Penbiddle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Penbiddle)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: