Mapleton, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Dove, at the boundary with Staffordshire, 1½ mile NW of Ashbome station on the North Staffordshire railway, and is a pleasant place. It has a po&t office under Ashborne; money order and telegraph office, Ashborne. There is a bridge over the Dove, and a good inn, and it is a resort of anglers. The parish comprises 809 acres; population, 225. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Ashhorne, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £60. Patron, the Bishop. The church is good, and has a dome surmounted by an urn. There are almsbouses for two widows of clergymen.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mappleton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mapleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mappleton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Mapleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: