Mathern, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the Meurig Brook, and at the confluence of the Wye and the Severn, 2 miles SSW of Chepstow. It has a post and money order office under Chepstow; telegraph office, Chepstow. In 1886 this parish was amalgamated for civil purposes with that of St Pierre and Runstone. Acreage of Mathern and St Pierre, 3482, with 499 of adjacent tidal water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 582; of the ecclesiastical, 535. Mathern includes the hamlet of Pwllmeyric. The name Mathern is a corruption of Merthyr, and the parish was formerly called Merthyr Tewdric. Tewdric was king of Gwent and Morganwg in the 6th century, and is reputed to have become a hermit and a martyr. Moignes Court, which was formerly the seat of the De Moignes, was rebuilt in 1609 by Bishop Godwin of Llandaff, and passed subsequently to Colonel Hughes, governor of Chepstow during the civil war. It has a fine gateway flanked by slender towers. A quadrangular building, the palace of the Bishops of Llandaff till 1706, is BOW a farmhouse. The ecclesiastical parish includes the hamlet of Runstone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £240 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church, with the exception of one column, which is supposed to have existed in the year 600, is Early English, with Perpendicular additions, and was restored in 1884 at a cost of over £3500. It contains a tablet to St Tewdric, whose stone coffin was discovered by Bishop Godwin while repairing the church; the coffin was uncovered during the restoration in 1883 beneath the tablet, and was carefully re-interred in the same spot There are also monuments to Colonel Hughes and others. St Pierre is annexed for ecclesiastical purposes to Portskewett. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mathern St. Theodoric|
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
|Registration district||Chepstow||1837 - 1886|
|Registration district||Chepstow||1935 - 1968|
|Registration district||Caerleon||1968 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mathern from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mathern (St. Theodoric))
Online maps of Mathern are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: