Mapperley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Kirk Hallam parish, Derbyshire, on the Nutbrook Canal, 2 miles from Shipley Gate station on the G.N.R. and M.R. and 7 NE by N of Derby. It has a post office under Derby; money order office, Smalley; telegraph office, West Hallam. Acreage, 982; population, 531. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £129 with residence. The church is a small building in the Gothic style, erected in 1851. A chancel was added in 1893. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the neighbouring collieries.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirk Hallam|
|Poor Law union||Belper|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mapperley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mapperley)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Mapperley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: