Llandenny, a village and a parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands on the Olway Brook, 3½ miles NE of Usk, and has'a station on the G.W.R., and a post office under Newport; money order and telegraph office, Raglan. The parish comprises 2302 acres; population, 389. Cefn Tilla Court is the seat of Lord Raglan; it was the headquarters of Fairfax during the siege of Raglan Castle in the Civil War. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £15 from "glebe "land. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is dedicated to St John, is ancient, and was restored in 1865. Thert is a church mission chapel at the Kingcoed and a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Llandenny St. John|
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Llandenny from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Llandenny (St. John))
Online maps of Llandenny are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: