Henllys, a parish in Monmouthshire, on a branch of the river Usk, near the Cromlin Canal, 1½ mile NNE of Tydu station on the Newport, Ebbw Vale, and Nantyglo section of the G.W.R., and 4½ miles NW of Newport. Post town, Newport. Acreage, 2663; population of the civil parish, 392; of the ecclesiastical, 499. There is a colliery. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Bettws annexed, in the diocese of Llandaff; net value,, £170. Patron, the Bishop of Llan-daff. The church is ancient There is a Baptist chapel and a board school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Henllis St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
|Registration district||Newport||1837 - 1936|
|Registration district||Caerleon||1936 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Henllys from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Henllis (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: