Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire
Ebbw Vale, an ecclesiastical parish in Monmouthshire, formed in 1870 from the civil parishes of Aberystruth and Bedwellty, and includes Ebbw Vale, Briery Hill, Newtown, Pontygof, Victoria, and Cwm. Population, 17,404. Ebbw Vale proper is on the Ebbw Fawr river, 20 miles NW of Newport, and 179 from London. There are stations at Ebbw Vale, Victoria, and Cwm on the G.W.R. (Western Valleys branch) and at Ebbw Vale on a branch line of the L. & N.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The chief support of the town are the works and collieries of the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron, and Coal Company, Limited, producing 1,000,000 tons of coal and 100,000 tons of steel railway material annually. Ebbw Vale is governed by a local board of 12 members. There is a literary and scientific institution with a good library, and two banks. The living is a perpetual curacy, united with Victoria and Cwm-Rhy-dderch; joint gross value, £280. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. There are Roman Catholic, Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, Calvinistic, and Primitive Methodist chapels. CWM, a hamlet in the parish of Aberystruth, is for local and ecclesiastical purposes in this district.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Bedwellty||1894 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: