Dingestow, a parish in Monmouthshire; it lies on the river Trothy, 4 miles WSW of Monmouth, and has a station on the Pontypool, Monmouth and Ross branch of the G.W.R. It has a post office under Monmouth; money order office, Monmouth; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 1972; population, 189. Dingestow Court, the seat of the Bosanquet family, is an old Tudor mansion enlarged and re-fronted in 1846. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £100 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church adjoins traces of an ancient castle, and is Early English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dingestow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Dingestow from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Monmouth Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dingestow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dingestow (St. Mary))
Online maps of Dingestow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: