Ludworth and Chisworth, Derbyshire
Ludworth and Chisworth, a township in Glossop parish, Derbyshire, at the confluence of the rivers Etherow and Coyt, 5 miles SW of Glossop, and half a mile from Marple railway station. It contains Compstall Road and Marple Bridge, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stockport. Acreage, 2486 of land and 25 of water; population, 2240. Ecclesiastically Ludworth and Mellor form the chapelry of Mellor, and Chisworth forms a part of the parish of Charlesworth. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels. The Roman Catholic one stands at Marple Bridge, and was erected at the expense of the late Lord Howard of Glossop. There are cotton mills and collieries at Chisworth, and quarries at Ludworth.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glossop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ludworth and Chisworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ludworth)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: