Longford, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Dove, 5½ miles SSE of Ashborne railway station, and has a post and money order office under Derby; telegraph office, Brailsford. Acreage, 3006, including 11 of water; population, 361. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the townships of Hollington and Rodsley Population, 670. The manors of Longford, Hollington, and Rodsley belong to the Coke family, whose seat is Longford Hall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £625 with residence. The church is partly Norman, was restored in 1843, comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a fine embattled western tower, and contains monuments to the Coke family and effigies of the Longfords. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school, erected in 1876 and endowed with £32 per annum, in Longford township, a Primitive Methodist chapel in Hollington, a Wesleyan chapel at Rodsley, and almshouses for six poor persons of either sex, founded in 1687 by the Coke family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Longford St. Chad|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Longford 1537-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Longford (St. Chad))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Longford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: