UK Genealogy Archives logo

Blackwood, Monmouthshire

Historical Description

Blackwood, a village in Bedwellty parish, Monmouthshire, on the river Sirhowy, 8 miles SW of Tredegar, and 15 NW of Newport, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. It has a station on the Sirhowy branch of the L. & N.W.R., an iron foundry and two collieries, and a large public hall. There is a small church, a chapel of ease to Bedwellty parish church, and Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: