Bedwellty, a village, a large parish, and head of a union in Monmouthshire. The village stands between the Rhymney and the Sirhowy rivers, 8 miles S of Tredegar, with two stations (Bedwellty Pits and Hollybush) on the Sirhowy branch, of the L. & N.W. and Bhymney railway. The post office is at the adjoining village of Blackwood. The parish extends many miles along the Rhymney and Sirhowy rivers, and contains the populous ironwork towns of Rhymney, Tredegar, Ebbw Vale, and Sirhowy. Acreage, 16,244 (including 188 of water); population of the civil parish, 38,953; of the ecclesiastical, 4728. Very extensive coal and iron works are carried on, and have caused an enormous increase of population. An old document, written when there was but one place of worship in the parish, records that one sermon in the month was allowed by the bishop on application of the inhabitants. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is Early English, and has a square tower; it was restored in 1858 and again in 1882. The chapelries of Tredegar and Rhymney are separate benefices. The parish includes also the following places:—Argoed, Bar-goed, Blackwood, Briery Hill, George Town, New town, Pen-gam, Pontygof, Eock, and Victoria. There arc numerous chapels for dissenters.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bedwelty St. Sannan|
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
|Registration district||Abergavenny||1837 - 1861|
|Registration district||Bedwellty||1861 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bedwellty from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bedwelty (St. Sannan))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: