UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bassaleg, Monmouthshire

Historical Description

Bassaleg, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Monmouthshire. The village stands in the vale of the Ebbw, at the junction of the G.W. and Brecon and Merthyr railways, adjacent to Tredegar Park, 3 miles WNW of Newport, under which it has a post office. There are four railway stations in the parish, two at Bassaleg, and at Rhiwderyn and Tydu. A priory of Black monks, a cell to the Abbey of Glastonbury, was founded here about 1110 by Robert de Haya, but fell into decay before the general dissolution. The parish includes the hamlets of Dyffiryn, Graig, and Rogerstone. Population, 3851. Tredegar Park is the seat of Lord Tredegar, the lord of the manor. There are remains of an ancient castle at Rogerstone. Traces of a Roman camp occur on the eastern side of the village, and of a British one about a mile farther. There are wire works at Rogerstone, and nail works at Tydu. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bisllop of Llandaff. The church is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower. there are chapels for Wesleyans, Congregationalists, and Baptists at Bassaleg, for Baptists at Tydu, and for Congregatioualists at Rhiwderyn. There are also endowed schools at Bassaleg, Tydu, and Rhiwderyn.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMonmouthshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBassaleg St. Basil 
HundredWentlloog 
Poor Law unionNewport 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bassaleg from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bassaleg are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online:

CountyNewport
RegionWales
CountryWales
Postal districtNP10
Post TownNewport