Abertillery, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Aber-ystruth parish, Monmouth, 5 miles N of Crumlin, and 9 SE of Tredegar, with a station on the G.W.R., 168 miles from London, and a post office (R.S.O.) It is a populous village, dependent on the tinplate works and collieries, and is governed by a local board of nine members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £200 with residence. The church is a stone building in the Gothic style, erected in 1854. There are three Baptist, and also Congregational, Calvinistic Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. In the Tillery Valley are the collieries of the Tillery and South Wales Colliery Companies. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 9138.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Bedwellty||1894 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: