Abersychan, a town and an ecclesiastical parish in Trevethin parish, Monmouthshire, at the influx of the Sychan to the Avon, 2 miles NNW of Pontypool. It has a post and telegraph office under Pontypool, and two railway stations, one on the G.W., 163 miles from London, and the other on the L. & N.W. line. It is a straggling populous place, connected with the works belonging to the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron, and Coal Company. Population, 15,296. In the neighbouring hamlets of Golynos and Varteg are ironworks and collieries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llaudaff; net value, £296. Patron, the Vicar of Trevethin. The church, situated in the adjoining hamlet of Talywain, is a building in the Early English style. There are chapels for Roman Catholics, Baptists, Wesleyans, and other denominations. A literary and scientific institution was founded in 1864 in connection with the Society of Arts, and here the local board hold their meetings. Population of the parish, 8843.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Pontypool||1894 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Online maps of Abersychan are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: