Litton, a hamlet in Tideswell parish, Derbyshire, three-quarters of a mile E of Tideswell, and 2 miles from Miller's Dale station on the M.R. It has a post office under Buxton; money order and telegraph office, Tideswell. The manor belongs to Lord Scarsdale. Some of the inhabitants are employed in agriculture and stocking-weaving, and some in stone quarries. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and service is also conducted in the school room. Bagshaw, " the Apostle of the Peak," was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Litton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Litton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: