Littleover, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Mickleover parish, Derbyshire. The village stands near Eykneld Street, 2 miles SW by W of Derby, is a straggling place, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. The ecclesiastical parish includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage of the township, 1466; population, 819; of the ecclesiastical parish, 842. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £130 with residence. Patron, Lord Scarsdale. The church is old, was restored in 1871-72, consists of nave, aible, and chancel, with a belfrv, and contains a handsome monument to Sir Richard Harpur, Kt. There are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels and a village library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Littleover from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Littleover)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Littleover are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: