Little Eaton, Derbyshire
Eaton, Little, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire, on the Little Eaton Canal, and on the Derby and Ripley railway, 3— miles NNE of Derby, with a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. Acreage, 573; population, 983. Little Eaton House is the seat of the Tempests. Little Eaton Canal joins the Derby Canal. There are two paper mills, and stone quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £277 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of St Alkmund, Derby. The church is of the llth century, and has been well restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Eaton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Eaton, Little)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Little Eaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: