Maentwrog, a village and a parish in Merionethshire. The village stands on the river Dwyryd and on the Sam Helen Way, in a very lovely situation, 1 mile SE of Tan-y-bwich station on the Festiniog railway, 3 miles SW by W of Fes-tiniog, and 10 NE of Harlech. It took its name from a stone in the churchyard dedicated to'St Twrog, who flourished about 610. Post town, Tan-y-bwich (R.S.O.) The parish com-Jirises 7630 acres; population, 769. Two fine waterfalls, called Rhaiadr-dn and the Eaven Falls, are in the neighbourhood. Roman coins, inscriptions, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Festiniog, in the diocese of Bangor. The church was rebuilt in 1814. Archdeacon Prys, who translated the Psalms into metrical Welsh verse, and assisted in the translation of the Welsh Bible, was rector of this parish in the 16th century. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Ffestiniog||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Merioneth North||1935 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Merionethshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: