Little Chester, Derbyshire
Chester, Little, a hamlet and a township in the parish of St Paul, Derbyshire, and within the parliamentary and municipal borough of Derby, on the river Derwent and the Leeds railway, half a mile N of Derby, which is the post town; money order office, Nottingham Road, Derby. Acreage, 448; population, 966. St Paul's Church, erected in 1850, is a cruciform structure in the Decorated style. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net yearly value, £350 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop and the Crown alternately. The Roman station Derventio was here; Roman roads went hence to Chesterton and Manchester, and many Roman coins and other relics have been found.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Derby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Chester from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chester, Little)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Little Chester are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: