Llanuwchllyn, a village and a parish in Merionethshire. The village stands on the rivulet Dyfodwy, which is the source of the Dee, near the head of Bala Lake, amid a wild country under the Arenig and Berwyn mountains, 5 miles SSW of Bala, and has a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bala (R.S.O.) It has fairs on 22 April, 20 June, and 21 Sept. The parish comprises the townships of Castell, Cynllwyd, Penanlliw, and Penarran. Acreage, 28,628, including 150 of water; population, 1076. Slate is quarried, and there is a gold mine worked. A waterfall is on the river Twrch at Bwlch-y-Groes Pass. A Roman fortalice is supposed to have been at Caer Gai, and Roman coins and other remains have been found there. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £200. The church is dedicated to St Deiniol, and contains an effigy of a knight of 1370. The name Llanuwchllyn alludes to the church's situation in reference to Bala Lake, and signifies "the church above the lake." There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Bala||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Merioneth East||1935 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Merionethshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: