Llanfor or Llanfawr, Merionethshire
Llanfor or Llanfawr, a village and a parish in Merionethshire. The village stands on the river Dee, near its efflux from Bala Lake, 1 mile NE of Bala. Post town, Bala (R.S.O.) The parish is divided into the townships of Bettws, Ciltalgarth, Garn, Llan, Nantllerdiog, Penmaen. Rhiwaedog Isafon, Rhiwaedog Uwchafon, and Uchedre, and comprises 32,845 acres; population of the civil parish, 1287; of the ecclesiastical, 470. Rhiwias, a fine old mansion, is the seat of the Price family, and stands amid grounds traversed by the rapid rivulet Treweryn running to the Dee. A battle was fought within this parish between the Saxons and Llywarch Hen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £215 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is modern. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The vicarage of Trinity, or of Rhos-y-Gwalia, is a separate benefice, and serves for a chapelry which was constituted in 1856; gross value, £119. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. A part of the chapelry of St Mark, or Fron Goch, is within the parish, as is also a part of the chapelry of St James, or Llawr-y-Bettws, constituted in 1864.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Merionethshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: