Llanfihangel y Traethau, Merionethshire
Llanfihangel-y-Traethau, a parish in Merionethshire, on the coast, at the month of the river Dwyryd, 3½ miles N by E of Harlech. Post town, Harlech. Acreage, 5115 of land, 40 of water, 350 of tidal water, and 2632 of foreshore; population of the civil parish, 2759; of the ecclesiastical, 1002. A battle was fought in 1073 at Bron-yr-Erw between Trehaern-ab-Caradoc and Grufydd-ab-Cynan. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Llandecwyn, in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £141. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church occupies a pleasant site, and succeeded one which was founded in the time of King Edgar. There are two Calvinistic Methodist chapels, and the Festiniog Workhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Ffestiniog||1837 - 1897|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanfihangel y Traethau from 1837 to 1897 you should search for the Ffestiniog Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Merionethshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: