Litchurch, a township in the borough of Derby, Derbyshire. It stands on the S border of the town, and the L. & N.W. and the North Staffordshire railways run through it, and also the M.R. main line to London. The township forms part of the municipal and parliamentary borough of Derby, contains the M.R. station and the Derby arboretum, and has several branch post offices. The largest part of the Midland Company's works are situated in this township, as also the Crown Derby Porcelain Company's works. There are several large ironworks and foundries, which, together with the railway traffic and other causes, have caused a great increase of the population within recent years. Acreage, 716, including 6 of water; population, 23,003. The township is divided into the three cclesiastical parishes of St Andrew's (constituted in 1866, with a population of 5838), St James (constituted in 1866, with a population of 9171), and St Thomas (constituted in 1883, with a population of 6759). The livings are perpetual curacies in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £200 each with residences. Patron, the Bishop. See DERBY.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Morleston and Litchurch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Litchurch from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Litchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: