Llanddwywe, a parish in Merionethshire, on the coast, at the month of the rivulet Ysgethin, 4¼ miles N by W of Bar-mouth. It contains the small village of Talybont, and comprises the townships of Llanddwywe-is-y-graig and Lland-dwywe-uwch-y-graig. Acreage of the parish, 9400 of land, 118 of water, and 183 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 311. Corsygedol was the ancient seat of the Vaughans. (See COBSYGEDOL.) Llyn Irddin, a lake of noticeable size, lies on the W slopes of Llawlech. Remains of an ancient British town are on the west shore of the lake, and caims, standing stones, circles, and two ancient camps are in various parts of the uplands. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanenddwyn, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is Early English, and has a chapel called Corsygedol chapel, built by one of the Vaughans in 1615, and containing a monument which was designed by Inigo Jones.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Merionethshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: