Kniveton, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire, 3 miles NE of Ashborne railway station. There is a post office under Ashbome; money order and telegraph office, Ashborne. Acreage, 2077; population, 269. Most of the land is rich pasture. There are lime works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £72 with residence. The church is ancient, and has a good Norman door and a low tower and spire. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kniveton St. John the Baptist|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kniveton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kniveton (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Kniveton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: