UK Genealogy Archives logo

Dolgelly or Dolgelley, Merionethshire

Historical Description

Dolgelly or Dolgelley, a market and county town, a parish, the head of a poor law union and county court district, in Merionethshire. The town stands on the Sam-Helen Way and the river Union, 10 miles W of Barmouth, and 18 SW by S of Bala. It has a station on the G.W.R., L. & N.W.R., and Cambrian railway, and is 251 miles from London by rail. It has a head post office. It has magnificent mountain environs, and is a great resort of tourists. Some Roman coins have been found in its vicinity, proving it to have been known to the Romans. A body of Royalist troops attempted to fortify it in the wars of Charles I. The town consists chiefly of irregular streets, yet contains some good modern houses. The county-hall was built in 1825. The parish church is a modern limestone edifice in the Grecian style, has a large tower, and contains monuments of Maurice ab Vychan and Chief Baron Richards. The town has two banks, a market-house, a grammar school, Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, Calvinistic Methodist, and Presbyterian chapels, and is a seat of summer assizes, a seat of April and October quarter sessions, and the headquarters of the county militia. Markets are held on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and fairs are held nearly every month. There is a manufacture of flannels, coarse woollen cloths, and kerseys; currying and tanning are also carried on. Chief Baron Richards was a native. The parish includes also the townships of Brithdir-Isaf, Brithdir-Uwchaf, Cefnyr-Owen, Dol-gledr, Dyffrydan, and Garthgynfawr, and extends along the estuary of the Maewddach. Acreage, 25,211 of land and 164 of water, with 789 of adjacent tidal water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 3785; of the ecclesiastical, 3612. Numerous villas and other residences are on the thickly-wooded sides of the liills. The cataract of Dol-y-Melynllyn, with two falls of 35 and 20 feet, is 5 miles from the town. An ancient British camp is at Moel-Cynnwch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Crown.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Merionethshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: