Barmouth, a market-town and watering-place in Merionethshire. The town is in the parish of Llanaber, and stands on the N side of the mouth of the river Mawddach, 10 miles W by S of Dolgelly, 10½ S of Harlech, 12 N of Towyn, and 248 from London. It is called by the natives Abermaw, or, abbreviatedly, Barmaw, whence, by corruption, the English name Barmouth. It consists partly of a fine street along the strand, but chiefly of successive tiers of houses on the steep slope of a lofty rock, which is accessible from below by steps. It has two railway stations on the Cambrian railway, Barmouth and Barmouth Junction, the latter being situated across the mouth of the estuary; northwards the line goes to Harlech, Portmadoc, and Afonwen, where it is brought, into connection with the L. & N.W.R.; eastward it runs to Dolgelly and the G.W. system; and southwards to Towyn, Machynlleth and Aberystwyth. The railway is carried across the estuary on a wooden bridge, with an iron drawbridge at the northern extremity; it is 800 yards long, and has a road for foot passengers, forming a magnificent promenade, and commanding fine views of Cader Idris and other mountains. There is a head post office. Barmouth is much frequented as a watering-place, and it possesses excellent bathing facilities, enjoys splendid views, and offers ready access to charming excursions and recreations. The Panorama Walk, about 2 miles distant, a walk on the breast of a steep slope 200 feet high, is famous for the magnificent view it affords of the Mawddach estuary and the adjacent mountains. The parish church at Llanaber is 2 miles from the town on the Harlech road. St David's, at Barmouth, a chapel of ease, was erected by public subscription. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, Calvinistic Methodist, Baptist, and Presbyterian chapels. Barmouth is governed by a local board. There are assembly rooms for concerts, &c. The town. is well drained, and supplied with excellent water. Markets are held on Fridays. The harbour is small, and is managed by a board. An island, called Ynys-y-Brawd, divides the entrance of the Maw into two channels, and the large shoal called Sarn Badrig lies about 10 miles off. Population, 2045.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Dolgelly||1894 - 1935|
|Registration district||Merioneth South||1935 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Merionethshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: