Aberdovey or Aberdyfi, Merionethshire
Aberdovey or Aberdyfi, a small town and seaport in Merionethshire. It stands on the Dovey estuary, 4 miles S of Towyn, with a station on the Cambrian railway, 233 miles from London. It is a quiet little watering-place, and the mildness and salubrity of its climate render it suitable as a winter residence. There is a wide expanse of firm sands, which afford good bathing, a golf club, with an unusually fine link; and excellent boating in the estuary. The scenery is amongst the most beautiful in N Wales. The Dovey or Dyfi here is about a mile wide, and is crossed by a ferry to the Borth sands, leading towards Aberystwyth, which is 11 miles distant. Wooded banks extend on either side of the estuary, and behind them rise high ranges of hills. The town consists of a long straggling street close to the shore. Some fishing is carried on, and there is an export trade in slate, minerals, &c. It has a post office (R.S.O.) The parish is 8 miles in length, extending in one direction as far as Pennal. Population, 1317. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; net value, £250, in the gift of the Church Patronage Society. The church of St Peter is modern. There are four dissenting chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Merionethshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Aberdovey or Aberdyfi are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: