Winchmore Hill, Middlesex
Winchmore Hill, a large village and an ecclesiastical parish in Edmonton civil parish, Middlesex, 2 miles NW from Edmonton, 2 E from Southgate, and 8 from London. There is a station on the Enfield branch of the G.N.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office in the N Metropolitan Postal District. Population, 3110. There are many good residences. A convalescent fever hospital, consisting of sixteen separate blocks, and standing in grounds of 36 acres, was erected by the Metropolitan Asylums Board in 1886. Old Park, the property of the Ford family, was given by Charles II. to General Monk. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £250, in the gift of the Vicar of Edmonton. The church is a plain building of white brick and stone in the Perpendicular style. There are Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels, and a Friends' meeting-house.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Edmonton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winchmore Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Winchmore-Hill)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.