Whetstone, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Finchley parish, Middlesex, 2 miles SSE of Barnet. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1836; it has a station on the G.N.R., a post, money order, and telegraph office under London, N, a police station, and a home for incurables. Population, 2522. There are several good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £320 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is a building of brick in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with chantry and organ chamber, nave, N and S porches, and a bell-turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Barnet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whetstone from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Whetstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)