Turnham Green, Middlesex
Turnham Green, an ecclesiastical parish and London suburb, with a station of the L. & S.W.R., in Chiswick parish, Middlesex, three-quarters of a mile N of Chiswick. It was constituted in 1845, and it has a post, money order, and telegraph office under London W. The population at the census of 1891 was 4921, but it is now considerably over 6000. There are numerous good residences. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £380 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was built in 1843 at a cost of upwards of £6000, in part from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A., and is a building of cut flint, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, N porch, and a western tower with spire. See also CHISWICK.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Brentford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Turnham Green from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Turnham-Green)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.