St Margaret, with St John the Evangelist, Middlesex
Margaret, St, with St John the Evangelist, a parish in Westminster, Middlesex. The parish forms a compact and prominent part of the metropolis; lies on the Thames above and below Westminster Bridge, 1½ mile WSW of St Paul's; adjoins Victoria station on the L.C. & D.R.; is traversed by the underground Metropolitan District railway; is in the SW Postal District; contains Whitehall, Old Palace Yard, Downing Street, Parliament Street, and Victoria Street; includes a detached portion comprising Kensington Palace and Gardens and part of Knightsbridge, includes another detached portion at Wright's Lane, Kensington, forming the site of Westminster District Workhouse; and contains Westminster Abbey, the New Houses of Parliament, Westminster Hall, "Westminster Guildhall, Wellington Barracks, Hyde Park Barracks, and many other conspicuous buildings. Acreage,with St John the Evangelist, 813; population, 55,539. See also LONDON.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.