UK Genealogy Archives logo

Southall, St John, Middlesex

Historical Description

Southall, St John, an ecclesiastical parish made up of Southall, Southall Green, and North Hyde, in the precinct of Norwood and the civil parish of Hayes, Middlesex. Southall is a hamlet on the main line of the G.W.R., on which it has-a station about 9 miles from London. There is post, money order, and telegraph office at Sonthall, and a post and money order office at Southall Green. North Hyde is noticed separately. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 5018. Sonthall has an urban district council called the Sonthall Norwood urban council, which consists of twelve members. It has a weekly market for cattle on Wednesday, the charter for which was granted by William III. in 1698. There are also some extensive chemical works, and a large margarine factory. The manor house is an ancient half-timbered mansion of the Elizabethan or Jacobean period. There is a district church, which was erected in 1890, and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London, in the gift of the Church Patronage Society. Southall Green is a village situated about a quarter of a mile from Southall station, 6¼miles SE from Uxbridge, and 9½ from Oxford Street. It is well drained, and has a good supply of water. Most of the land belongs to the Earl of Jersey. There are some large steam flour-mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £160 with residence. The church, erected in 1838, is a building of brick and stone consisting of chancel, nave, eastern porch, and belfry.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMiddlesex 
Civil parishHayes 
Poor Law unionUxbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Southall, St John from the following:

Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.