Potters Bar, Middlesex
Potters Bar, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in South Mimms civil parish, Middlesex. The village stands on the Great North Road, near the G.N.R., and near the boundary with Herts, 1 mile SE of a railway station of its own name, and 3 miles NNE of Bamet, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) under Barnet, and a post, money order, and telegraph office at Little Heath. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the hamlets of Ganwick Comer and Bentley Heath, and was constituted in 1835. Population, 1509. There are many good villa residences in the village and near it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was built in 1835, is in the Norman style, and contains a fine monument to Mr Byng. There is a church at Little Heath, erected in 1874, and there is a chapel at Bentley which was erected by the Earl of Strafford. There are also Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a village hall, a working men's institute (erected in 1893), and a cottage hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Barnet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Potters Bar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Potters-Bar)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.