Ponders End, Middlesex
Ponders End, a hamlet in Enfield parish, Middlesex, on Ermine Street, adjacent to the G.E.R., on which it has a station, and to the Lea Navigation, 1½ mile ESE of Enfield. It contains the manors of Suffolks and Durants or Durance. Within its limits are the Enfield Mills, the Edison and Swan United Electric Light Company, Limited, and the Lea Navigation. It is computed to have upwards of 5000 inhabitants; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London; net value, £212 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Enfield. The church, erected in 1878, is a building of stone in the Early English style. There are also Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels. The Durants estate passed from the Wrothe family, who had held it from the 14th century, by sale to Sir Thomas Stringer in 1673, whose son William married in 1687 Margaret, daughter of Lord Chancellor Jeffreys. Judge Jeffreys is said to have stayed here occasionally with his daughter. After various changes, the property was purchased in 1793 by Mr Newell Connop, in whose family it still remains, though not in its entirety. The manor of Suffolks, also about this time acquired by Mr Newell Connop, became merged in that of Durants.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Edmonton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ponders End from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.