Newington Green, Middlesex
Newington Green, a metropolitan suburb in Islington and Stoke Newington parishes, Middlesex, adjacent to the New river, 2½ miles N by E of St Paul's. It derived the latter part of its name from a square green. An occasional residence of Henry VIII. was here, and a lane going hence to Ball's Pond is still called Henry VIII.'s Walk. A seat of the Hallidays and the Mildmays, latterly called Mildmay House, also was here. V. Knox was a native, and Mrs Barbauld was a resident.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.