Muswell Hill, Middlesex
Muswell Hill, a hamlet in Hornsey parish, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Clerkenwell civil parish, Middlesex. The hamlet lies between the G.N.R. and M.R., and has a station on the G.N.R., 5½ miles NNW of St Paul's,, London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office in the Metropolitan Northern Suburban District. The ecclesiastical parish, constituted in 1843, was taken mainly from Hornsey parish, and includes only a detached portion of Clerkenwell. Population, 1727. The surface is undulating and hilly, and the higher parts, particularly at the Grove, command very fine views. The Grove was visited by Dr Johnson, and the grounds were laid out by his companion, Topham Beauclerk. A cottage at the foot of the same hill was the residence and the death-place of Newland, the Bank of England cashier, and also the residence of the poet Moore at the time when he wrote his '' Lalla Rookh." A daughter of the poet, Miss Anne Jane Barbara Moore, is buried in the churchyard. The Alexandra Park, a space of undulating and well-timbered land about 200 acres in extent, with the Alexandra Palace, is here. A mineral spring likewise is here, and was formerly in much repute. A cell to Clerkenwell Priory stood near the spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £387 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was built in 1842 and enlarged in 1874, and is a building of brick in the Early English style.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Muswell Hill are available from a number of sites: