Idridgehay and Alton, Derbyshire
Idridgehay and Alton, a township in Wirksworth parish, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Kirk Ireton and Duffield parishes, Derbyshire. The township lies 3 miles S of Wirksworth, and has a station, with telegraph office, on the Wirksworth railway, and a post and money order office under Derby. Acreage, 1552; population, 309. The ecclesiastical parish includes more of Wirksworth parish than the township, and was constituted in 1856. Population, 504. Alton Manor, Ecclesboume House, and Ireton Wood House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value,, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church was built in 1855, is in the Decorated English style, and contains memorial windows to Mr Robert Creswell. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Ireton Wood, a hamlet in this ecclesiastical parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Idridgehay and Alton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Idridgehay)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: