Kingsland, a quondam hamlet, now a metropolitan suburb, in Hackney parish, Middlesex, on the Tottenham Road and the North London railway, 2½ miles NNE of St Paul's. A lepers' hospital stood here in 1437, became annexed to St Bartholomew's Hospital in London, and served as an outward of that hospital till 1761. The main building was then taken down, but the chapel of it, under the patronage of the governors of St Bartholomew's Hospital, continued to be used till 1847. Extensive nurseries and market-gardens were long on the E, but these and all the site of the hospital are now edificed. A main street called Kingsland Road goes northward from Shoreditch church, joining the main road to Waltham Abbey. The suburb is now one of the most thickly populated in London, and many industries are carried on. The Shoreditch Workhouse stands in the Kingsland Road, as does also the Shoreditch Free Library, opened in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hackney|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingsland from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Kingsland are available from a number of sites: