Hulland, a village and three townships in Ashbourne parish, and a chapelry, including the township of Biggin, in Wirksworth parish, Derbyshire. The village stands on an eminence, 5 miles E by N of Ashbonrne railway station, and has pleasant environs. The townships are Hulland, Hulland Ward, and Hnlland Ward Intakes. There is a post office at Hulland Ward, under Ashbourne; money order office, Hog-naston; telegraph office, Shottle railway station. Acreage, 1080, 2040, and 451 respectively; population, 222, 392, and 27. The land consists chiefly of dairy farms. Population of chapelry, 658. Hulland Hall is a chief residence. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £293 with residence. The church is in the Pointed style. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hulland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hulland)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: